This weekend we decided to have Monkey Bread for breakfast. Any special occasion is used as an excuse for this treat! This time it was Christmas – yes I know it was weeks ago but with one thing and another we just hadn’t made it over Christmas. It has got to be one of the naughtiest but scrummiest treats!! (Is that even a word?) Monkey bread is amazing. It is balls of sweet dough stuffed with chocolate and rolled in melted butter,brown sugar and cinnamon!! Mmmmm.
Josh did the first stage and made the dough, with a little supervision. Abi and I put all the lovely dark chocolate pieces into the balls of dough and rolled them in the melted butter and brown sugar/cinnamon mix.
We then put it to bed in the fridge and in the morning got it out to finish rising before baking and devouring it.
The wonderful thing is that it is Howards birthday this weekend (40!!!), so we get to do it all over again!!
I started another felted animal last week. I am really hoping that I can get it finished this week to complete the one a month challenge as inspired by Jennifer. This one is proving a lot more difficult. I was silly enough to ask Josh what he would like me to make!! A Tiger!! Well it has gone from looking like a sheep to a cow and now a dog. Maybe some stripes and a lot of imagination might give it a bit more of tiger look???!!!
I have completed my second ‘Me’ project this month, my Blessing Jar. (inspired by Chris). I am really pleased with the effect. It is fairly fussy but where it will sit in the lounge needed a bit of livening up.
I finally decided to partly tie it in with the two collages I had made some time ago for the lounge.
Our wedding photo I printed on to canvas and also copied some of the words and music to the hymns to add to it and I used some of the bridesmaid material too as well as bits of lace and felt.
The quote hangs above the piano. I loved that saying when I saw it and just had to do something with it!
Anyhow, back to the jar. I started with a strip of brown ‘leather’ (pvc), topped with two layers of muslin with the edges frayed and a piece of raw silk. I free machined wavy lines criss-crossing around the edges and embroidered on ‘count your blessings’.
This time I really wanted to include some crochet. Chris at uk city crafter suggested the crochet heart of Lucy’s at Attic 24. I had a browse through and used her teeny tiny flower and leaf pattern and also the teeny tiny heart pattern. (Thanks Chris and Lucy 🙂 )!
I added a dc border to a couple of them too, added a couple of buttons and stitched them on to the background. Next went a few more trimmings before attaching it to the jar.
I wanted to cover the lid so I decided to go with crochet for that too and made a simple cover for it. We have decided it will be for all the family to use!
During last week I have been having a play with freeform crochet, but I haven’t been able to take any pics yet, so hopefully next time.!
I must go now and start the pressie I am hoping to make for Howard’s birthday. Something a bit different for me!!!