For this month’s challenge I have a rather amusing bag, a scrappy cushion and something made with clay to show you!
Firstly the cushion cover is my make for Josh and made using scraps and recycled fabrics. ( I haven’t put a cushion in it yet as I will have to be storing it until Christmas.)
For this I cut a square out of an old sheet and covered it in a spray, washout, fabric glue. I then cut and tore strips from my scraps bin and arranged them to more or less cover the square.
I then added more fabrics this time cutting and tearing to smaller strips and long triangles before I then cut a square of organza and glued this on top.
To hold it all together I machined wiggly lines through all layers to represent the waves of the sea.
Next I appliqued on the little boat and man fishing.
Lastly, I trimmed the edges and cut a square the same size out of the front of a secondhand shirt to create the back, so that the buttons became the opening.
I particularly like the way the light catches the organza, almost as if the sun is reflecting off of the sea.
My next make is for Abi. I decided to try to make hers out of air drying clay, something I haven’t done since my schooldays! (And being for Abi, it is an owl!!)
I made her this little trinket dish. It’s not perfect but I had great fun doing it.
Firstly I kneaded the clay into a ball,
then I used the heel of my hand to create the indent of the dish, shaped the ears,
and used my finger to shape each side of the beak.
The clay was starting to crack so I smoothed it over with a wet finger.
I created the indent for the eyes firstly with my finger
and then neatened it with a playdough tool!
I then marked around the eyes,
the pattern around edge of the dish
and the ears.
It took less than half an hour in all and I really enjoyed making it. It is something I would like try again.
The only thing I am disappointed with is the edging pattern at the bottom, it went a bit wonky where I switched position!
Lastly for Me/the home is my string market bag. This just makes me laugh. It has turned out huge!! I wanted it to be big but this absolutely swamps me.
I’m only just over 5 foot but this is ridiculous. Here it is hanging from the light switch.
I knew that I needed to use cotton as other yarns stretched so I used this
Hmmm, maybe next time I need 100% cotton, although it was already massive before putting anything in it. Anyhow, Abi has fallen in love with it so it may just be heading her way, at least she will be able to fit whatever she wants to in it!
I have some ideas for next month’s makes but I’m not sure how much I shall get done as over the next couple of weeks I shall be doing some secret projects as Abi is 18 in the middle of June and I would like to make her a couple of bits.
Happy crafting and a Happy Weekend!!
I love to hear from you, so please feel free to like or leave a comment. I will try to reply as soon as possible. x