Phew, it’s been a hectic month, along with some rough days health-wise the last couple of weeks and Abi’s Photography and Textile exam prep and coursework deadlines, but I got there…nearly!
For new followers, I started a monthly challenge in January inspired by Jennifer at Thistlebear. I challenged myself to make/finish one ‘Me’ project a month – Something for me or the home. Also, after my mad rush last Christmas I am trying to make one stocking present each for Abi and Josh a month.
Now this month I was really hoping to keep the make for Abi a secret but things didn’t work out quite as I had anticipated.
A couple of months back Abi spotted this pattern
and fell in love with it and in particular the colours so the plan was to make it for her stocking as this month’s make. I didn’t want to spend too much on the yarn as it is to be a stocking gift and also it had to come out of our gift budget. I decided to order some Stylecraft Special dk acrylic yarn as so many of you enjoy using it and it is great value. I chose turquoise, bright green and magenta. They arrived but they were loads brighter than they had looked on the screen. I knew that they wouldn’t do so I will just have to make some other very bright gifts! I guess the name ‘bright green’ should have told me that perhaps the screen wasn’t giving me the true colours. One of the drawbacks of buying online I guess. So it was down to my local yarn supplier where they had the perfect colours in Hayfield Bonus dk (another great value acrylic yarn).
Great, I had the right colours, so it was only a matter of making it up. Shouldn’t take too long! I soon found out how wrong I was. The choice to not use the recommended yarn and especially to not even look up what type they recommended was rather a mistake. I started to crochet, carried on, and finished. Mmm I really wasn’t sure, it looked a bit tea cosyish and Oh, the ends!! So I left the ends and started again using double yarn and got about halfway but it was just too stiff, even more tea cosyish! It was at this point I decided to show Abi. She thought the first one was ok and the second one hilarious. I had week of April left at this point! Onto version three. She wanted it much more open and lacy looking. So, scrap the pattern, back to single yarn and a size 10 hook!! Result?
She loves it. A shame I had to show her, but hopefully I can keep next month’s a secret.
The item I finished for me was my Owl and Flower Granny blanket. Hopefully you have read about that already but if you missed that post you can find it here.
It still makes me smile every time I look at it. It creates such a cheerful splash of colour in the darker corner of our lounge. After nearly two years it’s great to have it finished.
Then we get to the make for Josh. I wanted to crochet him some budgies (We have three budgies). But after lots of searching pinterest I could only find knitting patterns that I liked well enough. Now as I have mentioned before I have a bit of a knitting phobia! I did a bit as a child and a couple of scarves and half a teddy a few years back but it is so slow and I just don’t like it. The pattern was so good though so I decided that now was the time to tackle it. It was challenging! At times I hated knitting and nearly gave up, at other times it would be relaxing… for a few rows and by the end it was okay…ish. Well on the first of May I have – body parts!!
I don’t know how much you can make out from the photo but I have the bodies, wings and tails for a blue and grey, green and black and a yellow budgie. I am disappointed I didn’t get them finished but relieved to be this far and I hope to be back soon with a full post of the journey!!
I have a couple of other bits to share with you soon.
Happy Crafting and have a great weekend!!
I love to hear from you, so please feel free to like or leave a comment. I will try to reply as soon as possible. x