Abi and I love second hand shops, charity shops, Junk shops etc. In a word we love a bargain. In sorting through the craft room we unearthed these!
Photo bombed by Abi 🙂
We will often buy something because we love the fabric and then alter it or cut it up for fabric for other projectsWe hardly bought any new fabric for Abi’s four years of textile work, we could usually find what we needed second hand. Most of this pile are clothes that Abi has not yet had time to alter, due to being so busy with her textiles and photography coursework that she hasn’t had time to make things for herself but there are a few bits for me that I had forgotten about.
Firstly I wanted to rejuvenate a rather boring denim skirt
by adding in fabric from this £1 dress. It is a sheer patterned fabric with a plain lining.
I cut the triangular panels out of the denim skirt and filled them in with the sheer outer layer of the dress using the existing hem.
Then to add a bit more interest I made a flower and some leaves with both layers of the dress (outer and lining). I appliqued these onto the denim using a very narrow zig zag and trimmed away some of the fabric so that the lining showed through and frayed the edges changing a plain skirt into something a bit more special.
My next remodel was to make Abi’s skirt that she wears to work wearable again. It is rather stained (she helps out at a garden centre during the busy season) and worn but one of those comfy, love to wear skirts.
The front V panel had ripped and there were a couple of holes.
I replaced the V panel with a slightly gathered floral panel to give her a bit more room to stretch and patched the holes with squares of the floral fabric on top and on the inside of the skirt, a denim patch to strengthen it. I then over-stitched the patches for decoration giving the whole skirt a new look as well as a new lease of life.
My third up-cycle was from this charity shop find.
I only paid £1 for it and when I got it home I realised why! It had all been sewn inside out. Seeing as I had only bought it to use as fabric it wasn’t a problem. It is woolen so I put it through a hot wash to felt it.
I then cut it to size and blanket stitched the edges to make a book cover and added embroidery to pick out some of the V stitches and now I have a lovely soft cover for my Bible.
I have really enjoyed these makeovers, there is something in me that gets great satisfaction out of taking something unwanted and creating something new. If you get the opportunity I would encourage your to scour your local second hand shops, there is so much great fabric out there!
I was recently interested in the dress made by Beth of After dark sewing, using a top and a shirt! There really are some great up-cycle ideas out there.
Before I go here is a little peep at the stocking pressie I have made Josh this month. I have used lots of scraps of fabric, part of a sheet and a shirt!!
More on that at the end of the month all being well.
I hope you all have a great weekend, thanks for dropping by.