Okay, so it doesn’t take a lot to get me excited, especially if it’s creative but I have itching to show you the Christmas card I designed for this year and also what Hubby made me that I mentioned recently.
I have said a couple of times that I have doing some more 3d needle felting and I am finally ready to reveal!
For my Christmas card I wanted to create a winter woodland scene out of felt. I am still very much a beginner to this, having only made a basic owl and a tiger before. It was challenging and the creatures could be a lot better but I am happy with the overall effect. The first animal I made was a rabbit.
He was fairly simple as only needed a basic shape, faces I always find challenging but he is rabbity enough.
Next I made an owl, he again was a fairly basic shape and so not too difficult.
Lastly I made a fallow deer. She was a lot harder. There was something therapeutic about taking a lump of fluff and jabbing it into a rough shape, gradually adding more fibre to get a basic body, then a bit of colour.
Even chopping her about to gain the right proportions!
I was glad of those finger guards, especially when doing the legs!
I spent hours working on her and she is a big part of what messed my neck up so in the end I had to just stop. There is still something not quite right about her but I have to tell myself that I am only learning and not be too fussy!
Next I wet felted the background in white and cream, laying on rough strip of brown for trees,
I then needle felted a little more detail,
made a base and a tree stump for the owl and put it all together.
Then came the photography, Abi took the final image for me and I edited it to give it a softer outline.
I used Vista Print to do the cards as they have a half price deal on at the moment. This is the first time I have had my own design printed and it was so exciting when they arrived in the post (little things!!)
Now on to what Hubby made me… an Amish style yarn swift.
Lately I have bought more yarn in a skein and even using my ball winder it was such a faff and I was constantly getting in a tangle trying to unwind the skein.
I had looked for tutorials on you tube, watched a couple (this was the most helpful) and then joined Hubby in the garage to make it.
First we measured two 30″ lengths of wood and sanded them to smooth any rough edges. It was 2″ wide by 1″ deep.
Next we found the centre of both lengths and Hubby cut away a chunk half the depth of the wood and 2″ wide in the centre of each.
He then glued these together to form a cross and when dry he drilled a hole through the centre. We then measured every 1 1/2 ” on each strut of the cross and drilled holes halfway deep to take the dowels (lolly/popsicle sticks).
Next Hubby cut a scrap of wood to a 17″ square for the base and drilled a hole in the centre.
Hubby then put a bolt up through the hole in the base, added a washer and some nuts topped by another washer to lift the cross,
put the cross on the top adding another washer and a wing nut to hold it loosely in place and it was done!
It works amazingly and makes winding your skein just so much easier, thanks Hubby!!
So that was my exciting things, maybe they don’t excite you but I am really chuffed with both of them 🙂
Have a great week and Happy Crafting!